Padre Island 1554 Shipwreck Artifacts: Where They Are Today

The essentials

  • The primary public collection is at the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History in the Shipwreck! exhibit, opened in 1990 and maintained as a permanent installation, per the National Park Service.
  • Roughly 9,500 artifacts have been recovered across the three sites, including more than 5,000 from San Esteban alone, per the Texas Historical Commission.
  • Visitors see a section of the ship's wooden keel, verso guns, silver coins, gold bars, sections of crossbows, tools, personal items, and two mariner's astrolabes, per the museum's own exhibit page and the National Park Service.
  • One of the astrolabes is dated 1545 and is described by the National Park Service as one of the oldest mariner's astrolabes recovered from an underwater archeological site.
  • Curation history: the Espiritu Santo material recovered by the Platoro firm was awarded to Texas in 1984, and the National Park Service later transferred curation of the artifacts to the Corpus Christi Museum, per its 1554 project page.
  • The wreck sites themselves sit inside the Mansfield Cut Underwater Archeological District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974, per Texas Beyond History.
  • Two overlapping legal regimes protect the wreck field today: the Antiquities Code of Texas (Chapter 191, Natural Resources Code) and the National Park Service general regulations at 36 CFR 2.1.
  • The third ship, Santa Maria de Yciar, was never recovered and is presumed destroyed during the 1950s dredging of the Port Mansfield Channel, per the Texas Historical Commission and the Handbook of Texas.
On this page

The primary collection at Corpus Christi

The main public home for the 1554 artifacts is the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History. The Texas Historical Commission identifies the museum as the primary exhibit venue for the fleet. The National Park Service page on the 1554 project confirms that curation of the recovered material was transferred to the museum after the Platoro litigation resolved.

The permanent installation is called Shipwreck! and opened in 1990, per the Texas Beyond History project page on the fleet. It is a full-room exhibit built around the recovered material from San Esteban and Espiritu Santo, with an interpretive walk-through for the presumed-lost Santa Maria de Yciar.

The museum sits in downtown Corpus Christi, Texas. Current visitor hours, ticket prices, and any temporary closures are posted on the museum's own website. This page does not restate those, because they change and the museum's page is the only authoritative source.

What you can actually see on display

The museum's own exhibit page describes the on-view material this way: a section of the ship's wooden keel, verso guns, silver coins, and gold bars from the cargo, plus an interpretive space for the missing Santa Maria de Yciar. That is the plain description a visitor should expect at the front door.

The National Park Service adds detail on what is in the broader collections tied to the exhibit. Items include weaponry, coins, ship supplies, personal effects, and navigational devices. Sections of crossbows, photographed for the NPS page, are among the items shown in the Corpus Christi galleries.

The reales, the silver coins minted in New Spain, are among the most concrete objects on display. They are the pre-United States coinage most often called "pieces of eight" in popular writing, and they are the objects that most directly connect the 1554 wreck to Texas monetary and colonial history.

Categories of recovered 1554 material and where they are held
CategoryExamplesWhere it is
Ship structureSection of wooden keel from San Esteban, hull timbers, ballast stonesCorpus Christi Museum of Science and History (on display and in the exhibit-linked collections)
ArmamentsVerso guns, sections of crossbows, edged weaponsCorpus Christi Museum of Science and History
Cargo metalSilver coins (reales), silver bullion discs, small quantity of gold bullion, one gold bar, one small solid-gold crucifixCorpus Christi Museum of Science and History
NavigationTwo mariner's astrolabes, one dated 1545Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History
Ship's tools and personal itemsAnchors, ship's fittings, tools, personal effectsCorpus Christi Museum of Science and History; some conservation and study work historically done at the Texas Memorial Museum and the University of Texas J.J. Pickle Research Campus per the Handbook of Texas
Documentary recordField notes, drawings, publications, Spanish colonial documentsTexas Historical Commission Marine Archeology Program; Texas General Land Office Archives and Records Division (for related Spanish colonial holdings and case files); Handbook of Texas Online

Sources: Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History Shipwreck! exhibit page; National Park Service, Padre Island 1554 project; Handbook of Texas Online, Padre Island Spanish Shipwrecks of 1554. Checked August 2026.

The two astrolabes and the 1545 disc

The mariner's astrolabes are the single most cited class of object in the 1554 collection. According to the National Park Service, two astrolabes are among the recovered navigational devices from the fleet. One of them is dated 1545, and the NPS calls it one of the oldest mariner's astrolabes recovered from an underwater archeological site.

Wikipedia's entry on San Esteban describes the same instrument as what is considered the world's oldest mariner's astrolabe with a confirmed date. The two descriptions are consistent. The NPS phrasing is more conservative and cites the underwater-archeology qualifier. Either way, the 1545 astrolabe is the flagship object of the collection.

A mariner's astrolabe was a brass or bronze ring used to measure the angle of the sun or a star above the horizon. That measurement gave a rough latitude and made trans-Atlantic navigation possible. Finding one dated 1545 on a ship that sank in 1554 confirms the instrument was still in service, and that Spanish pilots were carrying navigation gear that was already nine years old on the voyage.

How the artifacts got to Corpus Christi

The path from wreck to museum runs through a long lawsuit. In 1967, an Indiana firm called Platoro Ltd., Inc. began large-scale artifact recovery from Espiritu Santo without a state permit for out-of-state entities. The Texas General Land Office challenged the work, and the state issued an injunction in 1967 that halted recovery and confiscated the artifacts, per the Texas Historical Commission.

The lawsuit ran for seventeen years. It was resolved in 1984, when the state was awarded the Espiritu Santo artifacts recovered by Platoro, per the Texas Historical Commission. Separately, state-led excavation of San Esteban began on July 15, 1972 under Carl Clausen, and the main fieldwork was completed in 1975, per the same source.

The National Park Service page on the fleet notes that once the litigation resolved, the state's share of the artifacts was combined with the material excavated by the Texas Antiquities Committee. Curation was transferred to the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History, and that is why the Shipwreck! exhibit opened at that specific museum in 1990.

What sits in research collections, not on display

An artifact collection numbering roughly 9,500 items does not fit inside a single exhibit hall. The exhibit surfaces the most legible objects. The rest sits in study and storage collections held by the museum, by the Texas Historical Commission Marine Archeology Program, and historically by cooperating university programs.

The Handbook of Texas notes that the Texas Antiquities Committee, working with the University of Texas, conserved recovered artifacts through the 1970s. Material passed through the Texas Memorial Museum in Austin and the University of Texas Balcones Research Center, now the J.J. Pickle Research Campus, during and after the litigation years. Some study material stayed with those programs after conservation.

The Texas Historical Commission Marine Archeology Program continues to hold field records, photographs, and post-excavation reports. The J.A. Baldwin Co. Collection of the Texas Historical Commission Marine Archeology Program is one of the specific holdings cited on the Texas Beyond History project pages.

Where the documentary record lives

The paper record of the 1554 fleet is separate from the physical artifacts, and it is spread across more institutions. The Handbook of Texas Online, maintained by the Texas State Historical Association, holds the standard scholarly entry by J. Barto Arnold III and Melinda Arceneaux Wickman, first published in 1976 and last updated in October 2021.

The Texas Antiquities Committee published four monographs on the fleet between 1976 and 1979, and the Texas Historical Commission hosts them today as free PDFs. They are The Nautical Archeology of Padre Island, Documentary Sources for the Wreck of the New Spain Fleet of 1554, Texas Legacy from the Gulf, and Treasure, People, Ships, and Dreams. Any serious research on the fleet starts with these.

The Texas General Land Office Archives and Records Division holds the Spanish Collection of colonial-era Texas land and government records, catalogued through the Historic Texas Maps portal. This is not a 1554-artifact collection, but it is the sister archive that documents Spanish administration of the same coast in the same era. Case files from the state's Platoro litigation also sit within state records under the Attorney General and the Land Office.

The wreck field and the Mansfield Cut District

The wreck sites themselves are cultural resources in place, not artifacts you can visit in a case. In 1974, the National Register of Historic Places listed the Mansfield Cut Underwater Archeological District, which covers the 1554 wreck field, per the Texas Beyond History project pages. That listing is one of the layers of protection over the sites.

The district sits within the Padre Island National Seashore, which is federal land administered by the National Park Service. The submerged coastal land itself is state-owned out to 10.35 miles offshore under a 1960 US Supreme Court ruling that gave Texas title to a wider offshore band than most coastal states, per the Handbook of Texas.

The practical result is that the wreck field is protected by three overlapping regimes at once: the state Antiquities Code, the federal National Register listing, and the federal park regulations. That is unusually strong protection by US coastal standards.

Metal detecting inside Padre Island National Seashore is prohibited except in narrow, actively researched contexts. The National Park Service general regulations at 36 CFR 2.1 restrict digging, disturbance, and removal of natural or archeological material. Coins and shipwreck material are covered by these rules.

On the state side, the Antiquities Code of Texas sits at Chapter 191 of the Natural Resources Code. It gives the Texas Historical Commission jurisdiction over archeological sites on state-owned land, requires a permit for archeological work, and prohibits treasure salvage in Texas waters. The 1969 code was enacted specifically because of the Platoro incident.

The takeaway for a Texan reader is that the artifacts you can legally see are the ones already recovered and on display at Corpus Christi. Trying to detect, dig, or dive on the wreck field itself would sit squarely inside two of the most protective cultural-heritage laws in the country. Go to the museum, not the beach.

The missing ship: Santa Maria de Yciar

Not all of the 1554 material was recovered. Santa Maria de Yciar was never located in the 1970s state excavations, and it is presumed to have been destroyed by the 1950s dredging of the Port Mansfield Channel, per the Texas Historical Commission and the Handbook of Texas. That is why the museum exhibit includes an interpretive walk-through of the ship rather than physical remains.

A joint National Park Service and Texas Historical Commission investigation in 2020 and 2021 searched the area again, in part to assess Hurricane Hanna impacts and in part to look for the missing ship. The search did not produce a confirmed identification, per the Texas Historical Commission Archeological Spotlight page on the fleet.

The practical implication is straightforward. Any future Santa Maria de Yciar artifacts would arrive at the museum through the same channels as the earlier finds: a permitted state investigation under the Antiquities Code, with curation ultimately landing in the Corpus Christi collections. Nothing about the site or the process invites private recovery.

What the record does not show

The 1554 collection is unusually well documented for a sixteenth-century Gulf wreck, but the record still has gaps. Item-by-item counts of exactly how many silver coins, how many crossbow sections, and how many personal objects are on public display versus in study collections are not routinely published. Visitors should treat the museum's own case labels as the working reference for what is currently on view.

Alvarado's 1554 salvage recovered a documented 29,075 pounds of silver and 22,000 pesos, per the National Park Service, or somewhat less than half of the roughly 1,000,000 ducats of cargo, per the Handbook of Texas. That means a significant share of the original cargo never returned to Spain and was also not part of what modern excavations recovered in the 1970s. Where those unrecovered ounces sit today is not known.

Casualty counts also vary in the surviving Spanish accounts. The Texas Historical Commission states nearly 250 individuals lost during the wrecking and overland march, with about 30 survivors. The Handbook of Texas names Fray Marcos de Mena as the only known member of the walking party to reach Panuco alive. These figures are best-effort readings of colonial documents, not audited totals.

Finally, the 1990 opening date of the Corpus Christi exhibit is confirmed by Texas Beyond History. Whether any object has been rotated in or out of the case since that opening is a museum-curatorial decision, and only the museum's own current exhibit page speaks to what is on view this week.

Padre Island 1554 artifacts FAQ

Where can I see the 1554 Padre Island shipwreck artifacts today?

At the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History, in its permanent Shipwreck! exhibit. The National Park Service confirms that curation of the artifacts was transferred to the museum after the Platoro litigation, and the Texas Historical Commission identifies the museum as the primary exhibit venue for the fleet.

What specific objects are on display?

The museum's own exhibit page lists a section of the ship's wooden keel, verso guns, silver coins, and gold bars from the cargo, plus an interpretive walk-through for Santa Maria de Yciar. The National Park Service adds sections of crossbows, tools, personal items, and two mariner's astrolabes to the broader collections tied to the exhibit.

Is the 1545 astrolabe really one of the oldest ever recovered from the sea?

The National Park Service describes it as one of the oldest mariner's astrolabes recovered from an underwater archeological site. Wikipedia's San Esteban entry calls it what is considered the world's oldest mariner's astrolabe with a confirmed date. The two sources are consistent, and the National Park Service phrasing is the more conservative of the two.

How many artifacts are there in total?

Approximately 9,500 across the three sites, including more than 5,000 recovered from San Esteban alone, per the Texas Historical Commission. The Handbook of Texas cites more than 12,000 kilograms of encrusted material lifted during the state's two field seasons in the 1970s.

Are any 1554 artifacts held outside the Corpus Christi Museum?

Some conservation and study material passed through the Texas Memorial Museum in Austin and the University of Texas J.J. Pickle Research Campus during the excavation and litigation years, per the Handbook of Texas. The Texas Historical Commission Marine Archeology Program holds field records and the J.A. Baldwin Co. Collection tied to the project. The main public display is at Corpus Christi.

Are there 1554 artifacts at the Bullock Texas State History Museum in Austin?

The Bullock is the state's main history museum in Austin. The standard institutional sources for the fleet, the Texas Historical Commission and the National Park Service, name the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History as the primary exhibit venue for the 1554 material. A traveling display or partnership piece could appear elsewhere at other times, and the museum's own current exhibit list is the only authoritative check.

Can I legally metal-detect for 1554 shipwreck coins on Padre Island?

No. Padre Island National Seashore is federal land, and the National Park Service general regulations at 36 CFR 2.1 restrict digging, disturbance, and removal of archeological material. The offshore wreck field is state-owned submerged land inside the Mansfield Cut Underwater Archeological District, and the Antiquities Code of Texas prohibits treasure salvage in Texas waters. Both regimes apply on top of each other.

What happened to the third ship, Santa Maria de Yciar?

It is presumed to have been destroyed by the 1950s dredging of the Port Mansfield Channel, per both the Texas Historical Commission and the Handbook of Texas. A 2020 to 2021 National Park Service and THC investigation looked for it again without a confirmed identification. Its physical remains are effectively missing.

Sources

  1. Texas Historical Commission. The 1554 Spanish Plate Fleet, Archeological Spotlight page. Source for the roughly 9,500 total artifacts across the three sites, more than 5,000 from San Esteban, the 1972 to 1975 excavation window, the 1984 award of Espiritu Santo artifacts to the state, and the Corpus Christi Museum as the main exhibit venue. thc.texas.gov/learn/archeological-spotlight/1554-spanish-plate-fleet. Checked August 2026.
  2. National Park Service, Padre Island National Seashore. 1554: A Spanish Shipwreck, park history and culture page. Source for the curation transfer from the National Park Service to the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History, and for the composition of the recovered collections. nps.gov/pais/learn/historyculture/1554-1.htm. Checked August 2026.
  3. Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History. Museum Exhibits, Shipwreck! exhibit description. Source for the section of the ship's wooden keel, verso guns, silver coins and gold bars, and the interpretive walk-through of Santa Maria de Yciar. ccmuseum.com/museum-exhibits/. Checked August 2026.
  4. Texas Beyond History (University of Texas at Austin). Shipwrecked! Story of the Spanish Plate Fleet of 1554. Source for the 1990 opening date of the Shipwreck! exhibit as a permanent installation, the two astrolabes with one dated 1545, and the 1974 National Register listing of the Mansfield Cut Underwater Archeological District. texasbeyondhistory.net/coast/images/he4.html. Checked August 2026.
  5. Handbook of Texas Online, Texas State Historical Association. Padre Island Spanish Shipwrecks of 1554, by J. Barto Arnold III and Melinda Arceneaux Wickman. Published 1976, updated October 29, 2021. Source for the salvage recovery figures, the 12,000 kilograms of encrusted material, the presumed Mansfield Channel destruction of Santa Maria de Yciar, and the historical curation role of the Texas Memorial Museum and University of Texas Balcones Research Center. tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/padre-island-spanish-shipwrecks-of-1554. Checked August 2026.
  6. Texas Natural Resources Code, Chapter 191, Antiquities Code of Texas. Statutory basis for state jurisdiction over archeological sites on state-owned land, permit requirements, and the prohibition on treasure salvage in Texas waters. statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/NR/htm/NR.191.htm. Checked August 2026.
  7. Code of Federal Regulations, Title 36 Part 2, Section 2.1. National Park Service general regulations covering preservation of natural, cultural, and archeological resources on units of the National Park System, including Padre Island National Seashore. ecfr.gov/current/title-36/chapter-I/part-2/section-2.1. Checked August 2026.
  8. Texas General Land Office, Archives and Records Division. Spanish Collection Catalogues, Historic Texas Maps portal. Reference for the state's Spanish colonial-era holdings and the archival context around the 1967 to 1984 Platoro litigation records. historictexasmaps.com/collection/search-results. Checked August 2026.
  9. Wikipedia. San Esteban (1554 shipwreck). Cross-reference for the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History as artifact home, and for the "world's oldest mariner's astrolabe with a confirmed date" description of the 1545 disc. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Esteban_(1554_shipwreck). Checked August 2026.